Thursday 14 October 2010

Auxiliary task - Album cover research

For the band ‘Colony’ and their song, I would like to do a single cover with the idea of art more than focus of the band, and running with the theme ‘Holograms’ I would use this last album cover as inspiration as by using the layering technique gives an almost hologram For one of the Auxiliary tasks I have to do an album cover/ digipack So I've done research into specific genre album covers (Indie-Rock) which would help me more, seeming that the band I'm dealing with is an Indie-Rock band. I'm researching, to see if their album covers are particularly different in anyway, and what theme design would be best for COLONY and their song "Holograms".



Albums cover research: Album covers that I have found relating to other Indie-Rock bands seem to have a theme that could represent the title of the album or just art work that would be used to stand out and be “iconic” such as: R.E.M’s album Murmur inspired by some lyrics that are hard to make out; “They called the clip a two-headed cow / Your hate clipped and distant, your luck, pilgrimage,”
 
And Death Cab For Cutie’s album Transatlanticism was described as
“More ‘art’ than ‘design’” and “Iconic”.
It was designed to stand out and be immediately recognised by other people. 


This Album cover is more abstract and unclear, and more art based, it shows a number of industrial buildings digitally layered on top of each other to produce a piece of art that is clearly eye catching and iconic. 








For the band ‘Colony’ and their song, I would like to do a single cover with the idea of art more than focus of the band, and running with the theme ‘Holograms’ I would use this last album cover as inspiration as by using the layering technique gives an almost hologram effect.

For this research i used a sight called http://sleevage.com, this sight allowed me to read up on the artists that made the album covers and how they were made and their inspirations which helps me to understand what I kind of need to do o create my own album cover in the Indie-rock style that is most appropriate. this is the link that I used specifically to do my research: http://sleevage.com/category/genre/indie-rock/

No comments:

Post a Comment